Have you ever been asked to do stuff when it comes to playing with words?
Or are you the one member of the group who is asked to write captions for everyone’s social media posts?
Or simply you are the one who is interested in putting down your thoughts into words?
If yes, then you are a writer by heart and you can be an aspiring content writer and make tons of money out of your passion for writing.
And several questions pop into every beginner’s mind while starting. Some most common questions that we are going to deal with in this article are-
- What is content writing?
- What skill should be needed to become a content writer?
- What content writing courses should be taken to improve your skills?
- How to select your niche for content writing?
- How to do freelance content writing and get clients?
So many people write daily but very few of them know what it takes to be a content writer.
This blog will explore the different aspects of content writing and if one can become a successful content writer. So keep an eye out here to don the hat of a content writer.
Table of Contents-
What is content writing?
Content writing is a booming industry and one that is growing every year. There is a ton of money to be made and it is a great industry to be a part of.
Content writing is the process of creating valuable content in order to give information and educate your audience on a particular topic.
Content writers are the ones who plan, create and present content in various forms that can be blog posts, social media content, articles, videos, podcasts, graphics, and many more.
The content writer has to think about the ideas of writing. He has to create the idea of writing, have knowledge about SEO techniques, keywords, readability techniques, etc.
Here we look at the different parts of content writing, how to become a content writer and why it is such an important part of our marketing industry.
What skills should be needed to become a content writer?
Before we move on to some content writing courses to improve your writing skills that an aspiring content writer must have, I would like to put light on some basic skills that are absolutely necessary to be a content writer.
Being good at writing is not the only thing that a writer must know well. The other must-have skills include-
- Communication skills
- Time management ability
- Business mindset
- Reading habit
What content writing courses should be taken to improve your writing skills?
Now, here comes the turning point of your writing journey. You can turn your passion for writing into your career and that too with investing just a little in your skills.
A full-time freelancer in India is earning 1 lac per month on average. And you too can earn hundreds or even thousands of dollars by improving your writing skills.
To solve your problem I am here with top courses that you must take up to start your journey in content writing and make tons of money by investing only a few bucks.
Content writing is not just about writing articles, it can include various forms like writing blogs, books, reports, technical writing, SOP, website content for different niches, and whatnot. Everything you see around is a form of content writing.
How can we learn content writing from home?
Ok, move on to this link, to get numerous options of learning content writing from these courses. You can read all the details given over there and get the idea to choose which course fulfills your needs.
We are in the digital era and digital marketing has influenced everything including our lifestyle and business.
Nowadays social media play an important role in growing businesses, developing personal identity, and building a strong online presence of brands.
Social media is something that we cannot ignore in today’s date and everyone must know how to create social media posts and influence people on the internet with their skills and talent.
Social media posts should be engaging and crisp to deliver your message in a lesser time via graphics, videos, audio that are meant to either educate your audience or cellular product, idea, or service.
Here is the best course for social media that you can take up for improving your social media skills and to know how a fantastic social media post can be created attracting clients.
How do I choose a content writing niche?
Many of the beginners get confused by the word “niche”. Let me first break down this for you.
A niche is defined as your specialization or expertise in a particular industry or content type. It is basically some industry-related topics you write about or the forms of writings that you generally write.
When you think of your niche, try to think in a way of “what” topic you write about or “what” topics interest you the most or on “what” topics you have your hands on.
Let us divide “niche” basically into two types that are-
- Industry- So, basically freelance writing niches according to industries require your expertise in a particular field or topic. To name a few these can be –
- Cryptocurrency / Blockchain
- Technology writing
- Digital marketing
- Health and wellness
- Real Estate
- Content-type- Niches can be broadly divided into different content types that come under either content marketing or copywriting. Some of them are-
- Long-form blog posts
- White papers
- Case studies
- Email writing
- Sales page
- Video script writing
- E-learning courses
Considering that you are a beginner in the field of content writing, it is not recommended to choose any industrial niche in the first place but you can select a few content type niches.
I would advise you to select your niche after exploring different niches and industries and then follow these 3 easy steps to choose a perfect niche according to your interest-
Step 1- Ask yourself, what is your area of expertise?
Step 2- What do you like to learn about and write about?
Step 3- Try to find your target market or whom you want to serve with your skills.
Now, here you have already figured out your niche. You can also have 2 or 3 different niches that you are passionate about.
How to do freelance content writing and get clients?
You need to understand that writing simply and doing freelance writing is totally a different thing.
In freelancing, you are doing any job here for which you get paid monthly so you don’t have any payment security that you will get a fixed amount deposited in your bank every month.
Here, things work differently, it’s your hard work and dedication towards your freelance business that will decide how much you are going to earn and how your business is going to grow and get you, high-paying clients.
Once you are ready to head into the world of freelance content writing follow these steps-
- The first step is to prepare a few samples for yourself which you will use to show to your prospects and convert them into your clients. Consider preparing 4 to 5 samples showing your best work in different selected niches.
- Build a strong social media presence on at least two major platforms. You can build your personal brand on any of them including LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.
I recommend using LinkedIn and Instagram at the beginning for getting more exposure and opportunities related to content writing.
- Start posting content related to your field that shows your expertise in your industry. Make sure to be consistent and provide valuable content in your socials that increases your credibility in the eye of your target audience.
- Connect with your target audience and your fellow content creators that are already doing well in the field of content writing. Build a genuine relationship with them and not just increase a connection number in your connection list. Most of the time you will get your first client from your connection’s reference.
- Research your target audience, analyze what you have to offer and whom you can help with your services. They can be business owners, website owners, coaches, company leaders, or any other person.
- Start cold pitching them with your services and inform them about how you can help them and how you can solve their problem with your skills. Don’t be too salesy at the first point, rather try to understand them and listen to their problems while having the first conversation.
This is how you can hit your monthly income goals easily with freelance content writing.
Remember that content marketing is growing with every passing day and there are tons of opportunities waiting for content creators and content writers. Start your journey right away.
Share it with your fellow content creators or someone who is looking to start on this beautiful journey of content writing.